Saturday, April 7, 2012

Celebrate the gift of re-birth

Easter.  It is the one day that separates Christianity from all other religions.  Almost every religion has a martyr who died for others, but for Christianity, it is faith in the risen Savior; the hope of new and eternal life in Christ.  It is a time to reflect on the Great Sacrifice and how we should live in honor of that gift. 

Of one thing I am sure, our bodies are given to us by our maker.  It is our responsibility to care for them.  There is no magic bullet to keep us healthy.   So, this year, it is my earnest goal to be healthy.  I'm not starting some magical diet nor am I taking some wonder pill or shot to get fit quick.   I'm keeping my focus on one thing:  to feel better and to have more stamina to enjoy life.  Simple.   Even with that goal, I will tell you it is not easy.  It is hard to get up and go to the gym, when I would really rather take a nap.  But, I have found that even though it is a struggle to GO to the gym, and sometimes even a struggle to STAY at the gym, I always feel better and more energetic when I LEAVE the gym.   Actually, by the time I am home, I am thinking and feeling that I could've done more.    

I think my experience with the gym is so true in so many facets of life --- it is hard to start something, and sometimes even hard to stay with something --- but if we perservere, if we push through to the end, the reward is awesome.    I think that was what St. Paul was speaking of in 2 Timothy 4:7:  "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."     

Although Orthodox Easter is still not for a week, everyone else's Easter is tomorrow.  So, Happy Easter everyone.  Christos Anesti; Alithos Anesti (Christ is Risen, Truly He is Risen)

No comments:

Post a Comment