Tuesday, February 28, 2012

So good to see the sunshine....

Today the sun came out in the afternoon for the first time in a long while.   It probably really hasn't been that long, but in Tallahassee, where you expect to see the sun everyday, 3 or 4 days of damp, blustery days is a lifetime.   But this afternoon, when I emerged from the hospital training room, the sun was shining brightly.  It was glorious!  I took the opportunity to walk to the parking lot rather than ride the stuffy shuttle.  It has been a long time since I have been able to enjoy the sunlight on a weekday. 

I have been truly blessed these past 2 days seeing old friends and former colleagues who seem genuinely happy that I am back at the hospital.   I have met new friends and colleagues who have made me laugh until I cried with their stories of volunteer fire departments in rural north Florida counties.   Even though I haven't taken care of a patient yet, I feel at home; I know for sure that I belong in direct patient care in the hospital.

This evening after dinner, I had to take a trip to Goodwill.   Andrew has an event called, "Gone but Not Forgotten" at school on Friday.   Each student in his class picked a famous (dead) person who was gone, but yet still had impact on society.   Andrew, of course, picked his greatest American hero, Milton S. Hershey.   In Andrew's words, Milton S. Hershey is the greatest American because he made chocolate accessible for all.   So I was sent to Goodwill for his costume .... a suit, white shirt  and a man's hat.   Fortunately for me, I found the perfect clothing and even the hat ....and there was a special of everything being 25% off.   Even better, when I brought the items home, they fit him nicely.  Whew... I was afraid I'd have to be up all night altering clothes.   We're gonna have to change things up just slightly, though, Andrew will have to wear shorts with his suit jacket, because I don't think his pants will fit over his lovely cast -- but he believes no one will really notice because he plan to pass out Hershey bars to everyone, just like Mr. Hershey would have done.   

In all seriousness, I'm actually grateful that Andrew looks up to Mr. Hershey.  Although he became a hugely successful man, he had many struggles getting to success.  When he did become successful, he gave back to his community and made education of troubled/ underprivileged children his priority.  Success, kindness, perseverance and love of chocolate are certainly qualities we all want our children to have!  So thank you, Milton S. Hershey, for inspiring my son.   Now if we could just get him to drink milk....

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to find everything.....he is just a gem, our Andrew!!

    ReplyDelete