Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spring is here

What a beautiful day in Tallahassee.  Not only is the weather nice, but the azaleas and dogwoods are full of blooms.  Springtime in Tallahassee truly is splendid.

I got to play visiting nurse to one of my friends who recently had surgery.  She was desperately wanting her JP drain out, so I went and did a little makeshift nursing and pulled it for her.   But it was just so nice to go to a friend's house and have true adult conversation.   She is an amazing seamstress so I was able to see one of her magnificent creations.   She's not quite up to crafting/sewing yet, but I'm sure that very soon she'll be back to creating up a storm.  Her work inspired me --- I may make it up to my sewing room yet today.  I have lots of unfinished projections (UFOs) in my sewing room and I need to get motivated now that I have time.   Maybe tomorrow.

I made the absolute greatest meatballs the other day --- seriously, the best meatballs I have ever eaten.  I just modified my normal recipe slightly but oh....what a difference.....I think it was the fact that i used the shredded cheese, added the milk and turned the temp way down after they were browned.   The milk suggestion came from my culinary hero, Ina Garten.   The rest was just the way I learned to make meatballs.  I think it would also make an amazing meatloaf.

Meatballs ala Anna

A little over 1 lb of ground round
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 finely chopped onion
1/4 cup DiGiorno Three Cheese shredded cheese (in the specialty cheese section at Publix)
About 1 cup of 4 Seasons Italian Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup skim milk
Salt, pepper and my secret spice -- Alessi dipping spices.

Put all ingredients  in a medium mixing bowl.  Take off your rings, wash your hand and then sink your hands to mix all the ingredients well.  Form into 2  inch balls and place into a heated, nonstick pan that has been coated lightly with olive oil.   I used med heat (a six on my stove) to heat the pan.  I let the meat balls brown on one side and then turned them all to brown on the opposite side.    I then turned the heat down to 3 and let them cook slowly, turning them once or twice.  They cooked for about 15 - 20 minutes.   And Voila, the perfect meatball was born :-)   Makes about 15 - 20 meatballs.

Enjoy.  Even if you have a favorite meatball recipe, I would certainly use the Ina Garten milk trick --- and the use of the fresher, more coarsely grated cheese really added a great deal to the flavor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment