Friday, March 16, 2012

Spring Break and Salmon

So it's Andrew's spring break and I'm taking off some time from work to be with him.  This will be the first time in 2 years that he hasn't had to go to some sort of "camp" for spring break so he's pretty excited.  I will admit, so am I.  It will be nice to spend time with him!    We are headed to Charleston for the first part of our adventure, and then we will come back home so he can spend time with some friends.   During his spring break, The Hunger Games movie be released and I have purchased tickets for us to be at the first showing at 12:01 on March 23rd.   I think it will be fun; the books were awesome if you haven't read them.   Actually, it was one of those "there is no way I can sleep 'til I finish" kind of books.

We are leaving for Charleston Friday (today) because it is Field Day at school --- and since Andrew is still in his walking cast and cannot participate, I thought it would be very frustrating for him to have to go watch his classmates from afar.    

George is not coming with us to Charleston, and I didn't want him to feel neglected so I made him one of his favorite meals last night --- Salmon Plaki.  Publix has fresh salmon on sale this week .... so it was nice to be able to not have to use frozen filets.   I love this recipe because it is oh-so-very-easy, very healthy and full of flavor.  And, my dear Presvytera Elena, this can be easily adapted for Lent :-)

Salmon Plaki
(note:  you can do this with most any sturdy fish --- cod, swordfish, tilapia, mahi)
About 6 oz of salmon filet per person
Feta cheese crumbles (just a couple of tablespoons)
olive oil for the pan
1 can seasoned diced tomatoes (I use the basil & oregon seasoned)
Jane's crazy mixed up salt
freshly ground (a little coarse) pepper

Heat the pan to medium high heat with just a touch of olive oil (or use pam if you prefer)
Season the fish with salt and liberally coat one side with the coarsely ground pepper
Sear both sides of the fish (about 1 minute on each side) to form a "crust" on the salmon
Add the canned tomatoes.  When the tomatoes are bubbly, reduce the heat to low-medium (about 4 on my stove) sprinkle on the feta cheese, and cook for an additional 6 - 10 minutes (until the fish is cooked through).   

NOTE:  If I am not using salmon, I do not use as much pepper.  The lighter fish can become overwhelmed with the peppercorn crust.

I cannot tell you how blessed I feel to be able to spend time with my son and cook regular meals for my family.   Returning to the hospital to work on the floor has been one of the best decisions.   I am truly fulfilled providing direct care and am a much nicer, happier person at home.   I still haven't made it into my sewing room...but I'm hoping that next week will provide time for that!  

Happy Spring!

2 comments:

  1. I just finished the hunger games last night :) have to say though, I was a tad disappointed with the ending

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, post about the Kindle cover here...it turned out really well. I also passed on an award to you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete