Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A little cooking and sewing

It has been a very productive few weeks for me; I certainly hope I can keep the momentum going!

Alexis' baby quilt

In the past 30 - 45 days my sewing machine has been putting in over time.   I have made two baby quilts, a really cool kindle cover (of which I failed to take a picture), a very frilly cupcake apron, new pillow cases for my bed, a backpack for myself, sewed buttons with Jeanette Iriye (her father has a million shirts I tell you!), made a VERY PADDED kindle cover for Andrew's kindle, and attempted making a bedrest pillow for my bed.    The last effort was a made up pattern, and while it turned out ok, it will definitely need refining.   Maybe I should just bite the bullet and purchase a pattern instead of trying to figure out things myself.

Quilt for baby Wren Humes



 I really wanted a backpack for work, but I didn't want to spend the money, so I used some material I had purchased on clearance about a year ago.  I didn't have the yardage required, so I used a lot of different, coordinating fabrics on the inside and for the pocket linings, but I thought it turned out really well.   The inside seams of this bag are bound with biased seam binding.  A lot of effort, but the finished product is well worth it! (And I don't know why these pictures won't load right side up!)


George and I bought a new king sized bed earlier this year, and just recently I purchased a down-alternative comforter because he is always complaining that our bedding is too heavy ... not too warm, but just feels heavy.   The new comforter is just perfect (and I got a real steal on it during Macy's recent home sale), but since it is white, and I just don't have it in me to make a new duvet cover right now, I decided to jazz it up with some new pillow cases.  These were a lot of fun to make and way to use fabrics I adore.  I have a batik quilt hanging over the bed and the fabrics in my new pillow cases coordinate with the fabrics in the quilt.  (Again, the pictures are upside down and I cannot fix it).

So, my friend Cheryl loves lime green.  She also loves frilly aprons.  So for her birthday this year, I made her this apron out of a really fun cupcake print, accented by the lime green ruffles.   Frilly she wanted, and this apron is the epitome of frilly :-)   The apron is fully lined, so all she needs is a little petticoat and she could wear it as a dress!
 
I've also been trying to be diligent to do "advanced" meal preparation so that when I work during the week, the family still has healthy, tasty meals --- and to ensure that I actually have something to eat when I get home from work.   This weekend I made my sister's famous chicken quiche, but to add a kick to it, I blackened the chicken and then chopped it up for the quiche.   I also made our favorite standby Mediterranean Shrimp Pasta, which is a variation of the Greek classic dish, Shrimp and Feta.  I love this recipe because it freezes well and always taste better the day after it is cooked.  It is the classic make-in-advance recipe!  Of course, I never remember to take photos of the food as I am cooking or before they are devoured, so the recipes will have to do.
 
Chicken Quiche (makes 2 quiches)
2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 green pepper diced (I always substitute 1 cup frozen broccoli, thawed)
1 small onion, diced
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I use Gruyere)
2 unbaked 9" pie shells
2 tbsp flour
4 tsp butter or margarine, melted
5 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Dash bottled red pepper sauce
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 - 13 oz can evaporated milk
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. white pepper
 
Preheat oven to 375.  Divide chicken, green pepper, onion and cheese between the two pie shells.  Top each with 1 tbsp. flour and 2 tsp. butter.  Combine remaining ingredients and pour half into each shell.   Bake 45 minutes.
 
MEDITERRANEAN PASTA
(makes 4 - 6 servings)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup white wine


2 cans (14 oz) seasoned diced tomatoes (basil/oregano seasoning)
3 tbsp chopped parsley (fresh)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
pepper
salt
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled/deveined
1 cup orzo
1/2 cup crumbled Feta
 
Cook orzo until al dente.   Drain and transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.   In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions with garlic and saute for 3 minutes until softened.  Add wine and boil for 1 minute.  Stir in tomatoes, half the parsley, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes.   Drop in the shrimp and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes until the shrimp are pink.   Pour the shrimp/tomato mixture over the orzo; mix until orzo is well coated.   Sprinkle the feta over the mixture, top with remaining chopped parsley. 
 
Bake for 10 minutes or until Feta is bubbly.
 
I've been commissioned to make a little girl baby quilt, so I will be picking out fabrics today.   I do so love making little girl things.....
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment