Sunday, September 9, 2012

Summer is gone

Andrew's stance for most of the 1200 mile drive


George looking at rocks at Provincetown
Wow, I just realized my last post was in May!   The end of the school year was busy and exciting and led to a busy, fun-filled summer.   After school ended, Andrew and I drove to Rhode Island to visit George's mom.  George flew up to meet us.  We had fun at a Pawtucket's Red Sox game, drove to Provincetown and ate at Sundae School (best ice cream ever!), and spent many hours on the beach.   They flew home while I drove home through New Jersey, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.  I was able to visit my sister and some very dear friends on the way home.   Lesson learned, however, when driving to Newport, always avoid I-95!  My trip home was so much easier -- and although it was a few more miles, it was several hours shorter journey!  

I was busy this summer sewing and reading.  I read 12 books this summer, or about 1 a week, which is pretty good I think for a working mom :-)   I read classics, a biography or two and a few trashy novels :)  My favorite books were Portia De Grassi's autobiography "Unbearable Lightness" and The Color Purple by Alice Walker.   I had read The Color Purple before, but I guess I remembered the movie, not the book.  The book is so much richer and  more vibrant than the movie (even though I LOVE the movie). 

Andrew has started middle school and has adjusted so well.  He has joined the chess club and spends his Friday mornings playing chess with his friends before school.   He also is sporting new glasses and has grown several inches.   He is such a smart, confident, self-assured young man.  I can only pray that this continues to be the case.    The photo of Andrew is with my father's shotgun (which was left to me when he died) and Andrew in my father's sharp shooter jacket.   My dad would have absolutely adored this young man (as he did all his grandchildren).  I am just very sorry that Andrew did not have the chance to meet him.

We have settled into the school year, so hopefully I will get back to more regular posting of recipes and sewing projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment